At Chandler Herefords, they halter break all of the bulls for sale each year and all of the breeding replacement heifers going back into the herd.
The procedure is as follows:
- Separate cows from calves
- Pen all calves tight enough such that they can’t run while each calf receives a halter
- Calves with halters to moved to pens with enough space to tie up
- Work and tie each calf calmly
- Leave tied all day
- Untie calves calmly in afternoon
- Repeat steps 1-6 second day (this video was taken on day 2 therefore calmer calves than the first day)
Click here for the video of this technique in action.